The MS in Nutrition & Dietetic program is designed to help meet the growing demand for professional Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs). It prepares highly motivated students with an interest in nutrition and dietetics to sit for the Commission on Dietetic Registration national Registration Examination for Dietitians upon graduation.
A registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN), also known as a registered dietitian (RD), is a credentialed healthcare professional who applies evidence-based information about nutrition and diet to contribute to the health and wellness of individuals, groups, and communities. RDNs work in a variety of sectors including healthcare, public health and other community agencies, commercial industry, professional and collegiate athletics, schools and colleges, corporate wellness, government, research, and private practice. The profession of dietetics is both an art and a science; RDNs apply their knowledge of nutrition science in the context of individualized needs, priorities, and preferences in order to address the goals of their clients, patients, or other constituents.
The MS/RDN program curriculum adheres to ACEND accreditation standards, and through the didactic (classroom) and supervised experiential learning (SEL) courses students are able to demonstrate all required competencies and are assessed according to relevant performance indicators. Students can complete the MS/RDN program in 19 months or five consecutive semesters.
- Apply foundational sciences to food and nutrition knowledge to meet the needs of individuals, groups, and organizations.
- Apply and integrate client/patient-centered principles and competent nutrition and dietetics practice to ensure positive outcomes.
- Apply food systems principles and management skills to ensure safe and efficient delivery of food and water.
- Apply community and population nutrition health theories when providing support to community or population nutrition programs.
- Demonstrate leadership, business and management principles to guide practice and achieve operational goals.
- Integrate evidence-informed practice, research principles and critical thinking into practice.
- Demonstrate professional behaviors and effective communication in all nutrition and dietetics interactions.
Curriculum: 2 Years, 54 Credits
|RDN 537||Cul Nutr,Func Foods,&Diet Plan||3|
|RDN 531||Integ Nutr Acr the Life Cycle||3|
|RDN 511||Nutritional Biochem & Physio||3|
|RDN 535||Food Science & Safety||3|
|RDN 571||Medical Nutrition Therapy I||3|
|RDN 661||Management in Nutrition||3|
|RDN 612||Nutr Comm, Edu, & Leadership||3|
|SCJU 631||Soc Jus Sem: Food,Weight&Hlth||1|
|RDN 712||SEL-Nutr Comm, Edu, & Lead Exp||1|
|RDN 762||SEL-Food Servic & Culinary Exp||1|
|RDN 671||Medical Nutrition Therapy II||3|
|RDN 614||Nutrition Counseling||3|
|RDN 622||Global & Public Hlth Nutrition||3|
|SCJU 632||Soc Jus Sem: Interprof Perspec||0.5|
|RDN 771||SEL-Intro to Nutr Therapy Exp||1|
|RDN 761||SEL-Nutrition Management Exp||1.5|
|SCJU 633||Soc Jus Sem: Syst Barr & Chal||1|
|SCJU 634||Soc Jus Sem: Analysis&Advocacy||1|
|RDN 665||Sustainable Nutrition Practice||1|
|RDN 675L||Nutrition Support (lab)||0.5|
|RDN 681||Nutrition Research||3|
|RDN 714||SEL-Nutrition Counseling Exp||1.5|
|RDN 772||SEL-Clinical Experience I||3|
|RDN 722||SEL-Public Nutr Experience||1|
|RDN 773||SEL-Clinical Experience 2||3|
|RDN 765||SEL-Sustainable Nutrition Exp||0.5|
|RDN 782||SEL-Individualized Profess Exp||1.5|