The Master of Science in Integrative Health Sciences degree offers health professionals an opportunity to gain a deep background in integrative health in order to meet the growing demand for wellness-oriented strategies to improve health outcomes and well-being.
Integrative health is an emerging specialty that is of expanding interest. Jefferson is leading the nation in developing a clinical and academic model of integrative healthcare. Key components of the model are highlighted and emphasized in the master’s degree curriculum, including advanced nutrition, nutrition-based therapies, innovative mind-body medicine practices, and other scientifically promising modalities.
The MS Degree encompasses 3 stackable Advanced Practice certificates in the following areas:
- Mind-Body Medicine
- Integrative Nutrition
- Integrative Health Education & Leadership
Plus a capstone course that delivers a 30-credit MS degree. A research course may be required as determined by the program director.
- Understand the complex role of nutrition in biochemistry, physiology, illness and health.
- Define biomarkers of nutritional deficiencies and suboptimal nutritional states.
- Construct an integrative nutritional plan for a wide range of patients.
- Understand the complex network that constitutes “mind-body” and construct an integrative mind-body plan for a wide range of patients.
- Explain common mind-body interventions and discuss the evidence and/or lack of evidence supporting their use.
- Utilize a range of Integrative Health Education knowledge, skills, and processes, especially when encountering challenging education situations.
- Understand evidence-based teaching practices, health psychology, dynamics of motivation, and behavior modification.
- Develop integrative treatment plan metrics for outcomes across illness and wellness populations.
- Develop and communicate health education milestones for long-term treatment planning, adherence, and compliance.
Curriculum: 30 Credits
|MBM 500||Foundations in Mind-Body Med||3|
|MBM 510||Advanced MBSR||3|
|MBM 520||Advanced Mind-Body Pract (NET)||3|
|Integrative Nutrition Certificate|
|IN 500||Foundations in Intgr Nutrition||3|
|IN 510||Func Genmc, Protmcs, Metabolcs||3|
|IN 520||Adv Conc in Integrative Nutr||3|
|Integrative Health Education & Leadership Certificate|
|IHE 600||Foundations in Int Health Educ||3|
|IHE 610||Int Dvlp Model Well & Ldrshp||3|
|IHE 620||Integrative Hlth Edu Practicum||3|
|Additional Required Courses|
|IHE 700||Integrative Health MS Capstone||3|